Saturday, June 7, 2008

My Hobbies - Ham Radio

As goes this blog... the journey of life is easier when you have something to keep yourself occupied. I have some hobbies, which keep me quite busy. The following is a list of hobbies i follow, though not in the order of the amount of time they demand on my busy schedule...
Ever wondered how it feels like to be able to speak anywhere in the world for FREE???
well, thats what every Ham Radio operator feels when he/she puts up a radio set, connects to a 20mtr wire antenna and is able to comunicate to a person half way round the globe.
Way back in 1989 when i was studying in St. Xaviers for my electronic diploma, we were introduced to the HAM radio as a additional study material. However, it never struck to me at that time that one day, i would fall for it again. As most teens today do, i was a bit uninterested at that time and let it be. Now, after so many years, and reading about it in the press at the time of Kutch Earthquake, I felt nostalgic and felt that this is what i missed out during my studying days. I immediately started looking around for a HAm training session and came across TARA [Thane Amateur Radio Association] classes. During the entire course i came across some very good people, whose wisdom and practical thoughts are part of my experiences. Learning all about radio waves, radiations, frequency bands, antenna orientations, radio sets, DXing etc, is a very interesting topic and i am following it as much as i can.

Very recently I passed the grade 1 exams conducted by the Wireless & Planning Commission, which means, i am eligible for a Licence to own and operate a Radio set very soon. This hobby is a constant work in progress and a very interesting one at that.

6 comments:

  1. Hi uncle..

    This is Gargi here..Maya Sharma's neice. I just dropped in to tell u tht u have done an amazing work on ur blog!..

    and i had one question.. Can u temme frm whr could i do this HAM radio course? I guess one of my friends told me tht u could do this course in Bombay.. do u have any clue about the classes they conduct in Bombay??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gargi,

    thanks for dropping by. the work on this blog is a constant and would be evolving as times go by...

    per your query, Ham classes are being held in mumbai by following people...i list them down in the order of their seniority in training - you take your choice...
    Mr. Sudhir Shah - 9324204755
    Mr. Hozefa Merchant - 9892786110
    Mr. Paresh Mehta - 9821310348
    if any doubts, call me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok Uncle.. i shall contact them and if i have any doubts i will call u up.. :)

    Thanks a lot :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awaiting for a QSO soon on air. Good write-up keep it up. Goodluck & 73

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pareshbhai,
    Nice blog you have created! I liked the header image.

    Did you receive the call-sign? Plz let me know.

    73

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Sailin and Abhijit,

    Thanks for dropping by, my call sign is a work-in-progress, as WPC is the master of all call signs and no communication from them so far...

    @Sailin, i am eager to come on air and have a QSo, but i think that need to wait for some more time...

    @Abhijit, the header image is a photo shot in SCANDINAVIA, which i fancied and used on the site...indeed a wonderfully shot photo...

    ReplyDelete